Lynn Griffiths, founder of the Carbon Monoxide Awareness charity launched their 8th National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week at the House of Lords yesterday (Monday 18th November 2013).
The mother-of-four set up the charity over eight years ago, after she and her family suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning for over a decade. Lynn has been raising awareness ever since.
‘It is shocking that despite living in the ‘information age’ people still don’t realise that carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless highly toxic gas that can kill in under three minutes.
Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete combustion of any hydrocarbon fuel e.g. coal, charcoal, wood, oil, petrol, diesel, natural gas and liquid petroleum gas (LPG).
Poisoning can have a devastating effect and the more people are aware of the signs and symptoms, especially at the initial stages, there’s more chance of preventing avoidable deaths or injuries.
Those poisoned by just low levels of carbon monoxide can go on to develop long term chronic health problems.
People can help protect themselves by making sure they and their families have all their fuel burning appliances serviced every year. Their chimney swept once or twice a year and by installing a carbon monoxide alarm in the correct place in their home, caravan or boat.
Due to lack of donations this year, the charity finds it’s unable to take its message to many parts of the UK like it has done for the last seven years.
Therefore I’m pleading to all landlords and the media to all pledge their support to the charity’s 8th National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week this year to help the charity reach the people it can’t.
Please don’t let someone you know, love, work with or live close by to fall victim to this silent killer.
It is absolutely vital that people start to understand the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and, most importantly, how we can all protect our homes and families from this silent invisible killer’.