Are you carbon monoxide savvy?

Richard Price, Director of Operations at the NLA, tells us about an incident in which a friend had a close escape from carbon monoxide.
Richard Price, Director of Operations at the NLA, tells us about an incident in which a friend had a close escape from carbon monoxide.

This week is carbon monoxide Awareness Week and as part of the NLA’s campaign to raise awareness of gas safety, Richard Price, Director of Operations at the NLA, tells us about an incident in which a friend had a close escape from carbon monoxide.

Being a landlord with a keen interest in safety, I know a fair bit about fire and gas safety. This knowledge came in rather handy when I was speaking to Dave, a friend of mine who told me he was experiencing headaches whenever he stayed in his motorhome.

This sounded like a typical symptom associated with exposure to carbon monoxide. As I have fitted CO detectors in all my properties for a number of years now, I had a spare in stock. I gave the detector to Dave to put up in his motorhome to see if this would detect any dangerous gases that could be causing the headaches.

As it turned out, Dave popped the carbon monoxide detector in a cupboard overnight with the intention of putting it in a more permanent place in the morning. But before Dave had chance to fit the detector properly, he was woken by the sound of the alarm in the middle of the night. The concentration of gas was so strong that the detector had sensed it even though it was in the cupboard!  Dave was being poisoned by carbon monoxide – a silent killer. The problem was subsequently found to be with a faulty gas heater.

Dave, who is from Wimborne in Dorset, runs the Happy Horse Sanctuary and now regularly takes the opportunity to tell others about the dangers of carbon monoxide – after all, Dave was one of the lucky ones.

It’s vital that landlords are aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide. Remember to have all gas appliances checked every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

And in addition to annual checks, it’s wise to fit an audible carbon monoxide detector – available in the NLA online shop – in each of your properties; it could be the difference between life and death.

To make sure you are protecting your tenants from the dangers, take a look at the NLA’s gas safety pages (free to access as part of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week).

2 thoughts on “Are you carbon monoxide savvy?

  1. I am a landlord and a Gas Engineer. I recently attended a Landlords Forum at Scarborough Borough Council and put it to their Head of Housing that no-one is interested in enforcing Gas Safety Certificates unless someones life is lost or endangered. He told me I was wrong, and would tell me the next day who enforced, as he was sure it was not them. Fair enough, he rang, but had to agree no-one is willing to enforce. As a fully Qualified and registered Gas Engineer, I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you to see if there is a way forward as I find it very frustrating from both sides of the fence. My number is 07702 955852.
    Regards,
    Rob Pithers

  2. I always put Carbon Monoxide detectors in all of the properties I manage and, also, advise all landlords I meet to do so, whether they take on my services or not. Could you live with yourself if someone were to die in one of your homes and you know that a small alarm could’ve saved that person’s life?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s