Is that really such a surprise? More people are renting now than in 2001…shock horror!
The latest Government findings in the English Housing Survey make for a good read if you are a. sleepless or b. a landlord.
- In 2001 there were 2.1 million households privately renting. In 2008 the figure was more like 3.1 million.
- 59% or private renters expect to eventually buy a home in the UK [perhaps the other 41% are considering buying in the South of France?].
- 5.4% of privately rented households are overcrowded.
- Social rented homes are more energy efficient than privately rented homes.
- 34% of privately rented homes are considered ‘non-decent’.
Okay, maybe it doesn’t ALL make for good reading if you’re a landlord. There are some serious issues here which need unpacking.
While you’re here, can you fill out this NLA survey? Thanks very much indeed.